Saturday 3 March 2018

Home by Sea

Photo Credit: 'meko'

In light of my last post, I felt that a brief thought on the future was needed.

For a long time, I dreamt of a home that was mine. As a little girl, when people would ask me what I wanted from life, I would always say to them that I'd like my own home, a nice house where my family could visit and I could make them tea and cake. That innocent, little girl's dream evolved overtime but would eventually extinguish itself with the onset of young adulthood, as the reality of being unable to buy my own house was all too real.

But since I met my husband, and especially as we started our family, we would both strive together for a home that was ours. Oddly enough, for a long time I had always imagined that home being in London but given the way this town has changed over the years -- which you can read about here -- my heart is pulling me outward. Our decision to leave London behind has been spurred on by personal and unfortunate circumstances but mostly by choice and of dreams born anew.

We will be leaving behind some wonderful friends and family in London, and moving far away from them has been a very difficult and emotional hurdle to conquer in coming to our decision. Needless to say, it was a decision not made lightly. But as I have always said, this was never goodbye; rather, it is more of a see you soon. With a generation lost, it's entirely up to us now.

Looking forward, in the greater scheme of things, we are all young and healthy with the opportunity to look ahead in life and have a chance to better our predecessors' example. Us Storms are a family of five and I doubt that London would have contained us for long. England is a beautiful country and we plan to do our very best to see our new little part of it with fresh eyes. To enjoy life. We'll be doing so and wishing that loved ones were still here on this journey with us, remembering that they'll always be with us in some small way and knowing how proud and at peace they would have been in seeing where we end up gives me rest. The future looks bright on the horizon. I have my Mr. Storm in one hand and see our children walk forth in front and this promise couldn't have been more worthwhile.

If there was one last gift that my late parents gave me; it was the chance to just let go and dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment